3 Minute Thesis Competition
Call for 3 Minute Thesis Competition
Tuesday, September 24, 2019
How to Participate
To participate the students will have to submit a 2-page summary (graphics are welcome in a classic ICIP paper format) of the main contributions of their PhD thesis along with a short CV and a support letter from their thesis supervisor. The submitted summary should be single authored by the applicant who must still be a PhD student at submission time. The submitted summaries will undergo a peer-review process and high-quality submissions will be shortlisted for onsite presentation during ICIP 2019 in front of a committee consisting of world-renowned experts from academia and industry. Presentations will follow a 3 Minutes Thesis (3MT®) contest format and students will have to present their thesis within three minutes using a single slide as an aide (see below about 3MT®). The final winner will be selected based on both the summary and the oral presentation.
Students are also encouraged to submit regular paper(s) in the main track of the conference and can provide paper submission numbers in their online application. The form also requires the submission of keywords that reflect the topic of the thesis.
Priority will be given to students at a more advanced stage of their PhD studies. Applicant must still be a PhD student in September 2019. See detailed rules of the competition below.
The Required Documents Include
- A 2-page summary of the PhD thesis emphasizing novel aspects and contributions to the respective field
- A short CV with an explicit list of publications
- A recommendation letter from the student's PhD advisor, to verify that the student is a PhD student in September 2019
Submission of Research Summary: May 10, 2019
Notification of Shortlisting: May 17, 2019
Confirmation of participation by shortlisted applicants: June 14, 2019
Event: September 24, 2019
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ) which challenges research higher degree students to present a compelling oration on their thesis and its significance in just three minutes in language appropriate to a non-specialist audience.
Participation Rules for Competition
The 3MT ICIP competition will be performed according to the following basic rules:
- Eligibility: candidates should be PhD students in September 2019
- The competition will be announced in both ICIP and related web pages
- Organisers reserve the right to disseminate the call for participation in other venues including (but not limited to) mailing lists and social media
- Every participant is required to submit a 2-page summary of his PhD, following the same template as the one of the conference papers. In case one of the finalists decides to attend ICIP 2019 to participate in the 3MT
- contest day alone, only one day registration will be requested. Students with accepted papers in the (main ICIP) conference are not required to make any additional registration
- The shortlisting selection will be carried out by the 3MT Committee based on the submitted summary, CV and status of the student
- Final confirmation of acceptance is subject to registration and participation confirmation (of the student)
- The final contest will take place during ICIP 2019
- The organizers reserve the right to collect audio-visual material at the day of presentation for media coverage
- "Presentation rules and judging criteria" can be found here